Wednesday 16 April 2014

Wednesday Briefs - Ch 5 Cyan



And another week rolls around. It's my last day of work today. After today I won't be a solicitor anymore. Quite a landmark and kind of a sad day. I can't help being a little sad, even though it's a relief to get the sword of Damocles from over my head.

So, here's to a whole new life.

The prompt I used today was, Do you know what you're doing?


Robin didn’t see Cyan all morning, though he looked everywhere. He was disappointed when he wasn’t at lunch, and started to get a little worried. They had History first period after lunch, and he was eager to get there, to see Cyan.

He knew, as soon as he walked through the door, something wasn’t right.

Cyan sat by the window, huddled in his seat. He was brushing at his sleeve, over and over, in an agitated way. As Robin drew closer, he could see Cyan had mud all over him.

“What happened?”

Cyan’s head snapped up as if someone shot him. He didn’t say anything, just stared at Robin with ultra-bright eyes that looked as if they’d been crying.

“Are you alright?” Robin sat next to Cyan, while Gillian grabbed a chair from a nearby table.

“I-I’m okay.”

“What’s with the mud?”

“I…fell.”

“Yeah, and who pushed you?”

“How did you know?”

“I’m magic. Who did it?” Cold anger swept through Robin, and it showed in his voice, causing Cyan to shrink back, and Gillian to glare at him.

“You’re not surprised, are you?” she queried. “He’s asking for it.”

“And how precisely is Cyan asking to be pushed in the mud?”

“Well…. He….”

“What, Gillian? He what? Come on. Obviously, you’re the expert on what Cyan’s doing wrong so why don’t you tell us so we can put it right.”

“I didn’t say that. I just—”

“He said I’m gay.” Cyan’s words tore through the conversation like bullets, then dropped into the following silence. “I told you it wasn’t good to talk about that.”

“You didn’t?” Robin gaped at Gillian, who looked very uncomfortable. “Please tell me you didn’t tell anyone about Cyan being gay.”

“Not exactly,” she said, getting defensive.

“What does that mean...exactly?”

“Well…someone might have mentioned he looks gay, and I might have agreed. It’s not as if I searched people out to tell them.”

“That’s not the point,” Robin said. “Cyan trusted us. He told you he didn’t want anyone to know. I thought you’d done enough harm spreading rumours about him being mentally ill, but this is too far. That’s enough. I’ve had it with you. You’re a selfish, spoiled bully and I’m sick and tired of the poison that comes out of your mouth. We’re done.”

“What do you mean?” Gillian laughed and shook her hair. Usually, Robin liked the gesture and to run his fingers through the silky strands. Today it only irritated him.

“What do you think I mean?”

“Well…. It sounds like you’re breaking up with me, but—”

“Well done, Gilly. You caught on quicker than you usually do.”

“But…. But you can’t. You can’t finish with me. We’re—”

“Over, Gilly. We’re over.”

Gillian’s eyes hardened, and she glared at Cyan, who shrank back. “You’ll pay for this,” she hissed.

“Don’t you dare. This is not Cyan’s fault. It’s what you’ve done, I hate. I doesn’t matter who you did it to.”

“Liar. You’ve been all over him since you met. Be careful, Robin, people might start thinking you’re gay, too.”

Robin laughed out loud.

“As if anyone’s going to believe that. I’m as gay as you are, and everyone knows it.”

“Robin,” she said, her voice turning soft and wheedling, “think about it. Do you know what you’re doing?”

“I know exactly what I’m doing. I’m getting rid of something nasty from my life. I’m sick of your mean, spiteful comments, your twisting, your stirring. You’re a bitch, and I’ve had enough. We’re done. Goodbye.” Robin got to his feet. Gillian gaped at him. “Come on Cyan, let’s get you sorted out.”

“But….it’s History. You can’t go.”

“Watch me.”

Forgetting about Cyan’s censure, Robin grabbed his hand, pulled him to his feet. Just outside the classroom, they met Aivah and Alex.

“Hey, what’s going on? You’re heading in the wrong direction, mate.”

“I’m taking Cyan to get cleaned up and calmed down. Some little shit pushed him in the mud because my ex girlfriend thought it would be alright to tell people he’s gay.”

“Your ex?”

“We’re over. I’m done with her.”

“About time,” Alex said.

“I never really understood why you were with her in the first place,” Aivah said. “You’re so sweet and gentle and she’s a complete bitch.”

This was strong speaking coming from the gentle and delicate Aivah. Robin and Alex stared at her. “What? She is. You know it. I don’t know how you put up with her all this time. She does terrible things.”

“Yes,” Robin said. “She does, and no doubt she’ll be doing it to us now, so you’d be better distancing yourselves from us for a while. You know what Gillian’s like.”

“Oh yes,” Aivah said, “I know what she can be like. I remember when I first came here, it was me she was being spiteful to. It was a long time ago, but I remember. I’m on your side, and to hell with Gillian.”

“I’m on whatever side she’s on.” Alex said, with a grin. “Although I’d be on your side anyway. Can’t imagine Gilly will find many on hers. Can’t imagine she’ll find many people in the school she hasn’t been mean to at one time or another.”

“True. Look, I don’t want to hurt her. I’m not in the game for vengeance or anything like that. I don’t want to see her hurt.”

“As if we would.”

“Don’t drop her flat. She’s going to need someone to bitch to and that’s fine with me.”

“She can find someone else,” Aivah said, tossing her hair. Robin thought how different the gesture was with her, so natural and unforced.

“It will make it easier on me…and Cyan, if she has someone still speaking to her who will give her some perspective.”


“Oh alright,” Aivah said, with an angelic smile. “Just for you, and sexy.” She batted her eyelashes at Cyan as she said it and Cyan looked as if he was going to faint.

Now go on, go check out the others. Go on. What are you waiting for? Check out all the other flashers here Wednesday Briefs

No comments:

Post a Comment