Monday 27 August 2012

Interview with S L Danielson


Today I am privileged to interview S L Danielson (Steph ) author of many great books and co-author of many more. Check out the links before for links to her books and those she's written with another great author Julie L Hayes

Steph is also president of Romance First Publishers with whom I have a book published and another on the way.



What was it that led you to write about gay relationships? 

Two reasons: to explore 'different' people; having grown up in a homogenous environment; I wanted to know more about people who were different than the usual. Also, when I was 16 I met my first gay guy, (had a crush on him too) but I wanted to always honor gay men and how they can find love too.



Where do you get your inspiration for your characters? 

All over, really. I take a lot of facets of my own persona, plus my family and friends, and mesh them together into people I want to write about.

What's going on with the Sims right now? 
There's actually a good reason for asking this question as I happen to know that Steph has created characters from the series we are writing together and they are having an interesting time together in Sim World

All kinds of things! I just have one neighborhood I'm running right now, but there's lots of teens, angst, crushes, and job-prep being done for their futures.

If you could have one wish what would it be? 
Health.

What's your deepest fear? 
Poverty...and lack of freedom.

If I came to dinner what would you feed me? 
Manicotti!!!

What was it that made you decide to start  your own publishing company? 

I wanted to do things on my own and wanted to explore owning a business. That, plus I wanted to run it my own way, and explore all the benefits and downfalls of doing so. Okay, and yes, to make money! 

What is the hardest part of running your own company? 

Management. The toughest moments have been some issues with editors and authors not getting along, plus some other internal items; but those have all been resolved. Overall though, that has been the hardest, and least desirable function.

What's the most rewarding part of running your own company? 

Getting to meet great new authors and reading their stories; giving them a shot. I've met some terrific authors who are thrilled to death for a chance to publish and get their book out there without doing it on their own. As both a published by houses and an indie author myself; I understood this completely. I love sending that acceptance letter and the thank yous and hugs I get in return!

What do you prefer writing. A one off novel, a series or short stories? 

Oy...it used to be single novels...but now I'm loving the series'. Actually, looking back on the lions' share of my own works...most of them have been worked into a two or three book deal. I think now doing a series is my absolute favorite.



What kind of books do you read (if you have time to read)? 

Time? What's that? When I do get the chance, I love the genre I write, but also sci-fi. I will pick these up more when school ends.

Where do you see yourself personally and professionally in 5 years time? Personally.... I see me graduated, hopefully in my degree field with some side income, and in a revamped house (already started the process). Professionally... I see RFP getting larger, and in 5 years time, publish at least a dozen more books indie and maybe a house one as well. I want to publish the series I began in my teen years at last. I also want my house to be completely liveable, and complete with an irish pub in the basement. :)

You and I have a book coming out soon. What would you (and the Sims) like to say about it 

Hehe...the Simmies love it!!! I love seeing how they interact with the traits I've put into them. I love the story... Erik is your typical angsty teen, Asher is very extraordinary; Billy and Vince are my pets though; I adore them, always. Upstaged has been the easiest and funnest series to ever write! Every book has at least 1 new character added, which adds to the freshness of it and keeps the interest alive. We get new points of view and interactions... it's not the same 'ol bunch over and over.




Are you working on anything else at the moment? 

Right now the only only iron in the fire is the final (joint) book of the SC series. After that, I'm not sure what's next...too many 'works' waiting for their debut. The only major item other than writing in my life (okay, beyond working) is finishing school.

Is there anything you'd like to say to close... personally or professionally? 

No..I think I said it all up there. :)

Steph is a woman of few words, as I have found when writing together. Her brevity compensates for my tendency to be verbose.

I've thoroughly enjoyed our time working together on Upstaged and am quite sad that it's coming to and end. 8 books in under 5 months is a pretty good achievement though, and, I think, shows how well we write together with the story literally flowing between us.

The first book in the series is in the last stages of editing and should be out soon. Keep your eyes open and check out my Upstaged page for further information excerpts and news

While you're waiting for the release check out the following links for Steph's works and the other wonderful books published by RFP

 http://www.amazon.com/S.-L.-Danielson/e/B003W8EGHU/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/storeSearch.html?searchBy=author&qString=Stephanie+Danielson

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/ladyauthorsld

www.ladyauthorsld.blogspot.com

and for RFP:

www.romancefirstpublishing.blogspot.com

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/romancefirstpublishing

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/storeSearch.html

2 comments:

  1. What a great interview! I love the mix of questions and so many were pertinent as an author and reader myself, so I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing Nephy and Steph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cia. I'm always grateful for your comments and your support.

      Delete