Wednesday 4 September 2013

Wednesday Briefs - In The Arms Of An Angel - Don't Leave Us This Way



Another difficult week and another Wednesday in the middle of it.Wednesday Briefs are a bright spark I cling to. Another bright spark is that my favourite serial Dust and Ash is posting again on Gay Authors after a break. Great to see Tucker McCallahan back in the driving seat.

Here are the prompts I've chosen




“This is crazy,” Pasha said. “It’s unreal. I feel stoned stupid. Are you sure you didn’t put acid in our drinks?”

Ari laughed. “No, no acid, just…magic, maybe? I’ll leave you to look around.”

“What do you mean ‘look around’? There’s nothing here.”

“Really? Try walking in a little further.”

Uzzy moved forward but Gabri’el pulled him back. “Wait here.” Gabri’el strode to the centre of the room, then turned slowly. His eyes were wide and the glittering rainbow energy was swirling in them.

“What is it?” Pasha asked; half eager and half anxious. “What can you see? What can you feel?”

“Everything,” Uzzy whispered.

“Everything,” Gabri’el gasped in wonder.

“Like I said, I’ll leave you to look around.”

“Wait. Are you leaving…altogether? Are you leaving us right now?”

Ari looked sad. “I have to. I’ve been called back. I can’t stay.”

“No one will know. Stay for a little while, just until we find our feet. A few days. Surely no one will notice a few days. How long will it take you to get home? Months? Years? Will they really miss a few days?”

“About half an hour and yes, I think they would.”

“Half an hour? How far away do you live?”

“About two galaxies…and then some.”

“In half an hour?”

“How long does it take you to travel through the angel gates? Star gates are just bigger versions and not quite so fast. It’s not a pleasant way to travel but the best we can do in the circumstances. I really do have to go. They’re waiting for me and it doesn’t do to keep the education panel waiting.” Suddenly, Ari  looked very nervous. “They’ll have the result – whether I passed or failed.”

“What happens if you fail? Will you have to re-sit? Start again somewhere else?”

Ari shook his head. “There’s only once chance. Opportunities like this don’t come up very often.  There aren’t an infinite number of suitable planets. This is it for me. If I fail….” He shrugged. “I guess I’ll be thrown off the programme and have to get a job.”

He looked and sounded so horrified Pasha couldn’t help but laugh. “Wouldn’t that just be the end of the world?”

Ari opened his mouth, looking indignant, then laughed. “I suppose you’re right. Time to ‘man up’ I guess. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if I failed. I don’t know, maybe it would do me some good. I have some growing up to do, I think, although this whole project has certainly dragged me on up the scale somewhat. Looking back, I can’t believe they ever gave me the project in the first place, at least not on my own.” He frowned. “Sometimes I think I’m the experiment.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised,” Uzzy said. “Speaking as one lab rat to another – it really isn’t that bad once you get over the righteous indignation.”

Ari spluttered and hugged Uzzy. “I’m going to miss you,” he said. Letting Uzzy go, he walked into The Core, grabbed Gabri’el’s hand and dragged the stunned angel across the floor until he was able to embrace them 
all. “I’m going to miss all of you.”

For a moment, they stood in silence, then Ari pulled free. “I suggest you move the Host into here. There are loads and loads of empty rooms. It’s a standard station and it was always way too big for me. Actually, you should contact them, Gabri’el, they’ve been waiting patiently for you.”

Gabri’el started, horrified that this was the first time he’d thought of his men. He’d told them to leave, but was unsurprised they were still there. “How long has it been since we left them?”

“Don’t worry. Not as long as it seemed. I’m much better at time than climate.” He grinned impishly “Now I really do have to go.”

“Wait. Don’t leave us like this. We’re not ready.”

“You’re as ready as you’ll ever be. Trust me. This isn’t anything that can be taught. And I wouldn’t be a very good teacher anyway.”

Quickly dropping a kiss on each cheek, Ari  turned and, before anyone could say another word, he was gone.

“Dammit.”

“It’s just us then. Are we really God?”

“We’re something.”

“What shall we do now?”

“I don’t know about you,” Gabri’el said. “but I could do with a drink. I feel like a croquet ball that’s been hit with the mallet just a few too many times. I don’t think I can handle any more hoops right now.”

“Do you think we can? I mean, take time for a drink? Shouldn’t we be on constant watch or something. I mean… God. Doesn’t God have to….well… do everything?”

“You’d be surprised how little God actually has to do. It’s mostly just watching and making sure things are kept in balance. The Core is amazing. You step inside and suddenly you know everything. You are everything. You’re connected to every cell, every energy flow on the planet, and beyond. In The Core you can see all the patterns. The way they should be and the way they are. As long as it all pretty much matches we’re fine. If there are problems we can see them and then go to the control centre to sort them out. As long as we check The Core a couple of times a day we’re fine. There are alarms that go off if something unexpected crops up.”

“And that’s it?”

“Pretty much.”

“Well then,” Gabri’el said, sliding his arms around Uzzy and Pasha’s waists and pulling them close. “I think a little R & R is in order.”

“I’ll show you how everything works.”


“Oh, don’t worry.” Gabri’el said in a voice that conveyed his meaning much better than the words. “I know exactly how all the parts I’m thinking of work.”

And now it's time to read the other briefers this week. There's some real gold in them there nuggets










4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the journey you've taken me on. :) God. How cool is that? Something tells me the job won't be quite as lollipops and rainbows as Gabri'el wants to believe. Humans and all that. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “You’d be surprised how little God actually has to do. It’s mostly just watching and making sure things are kept in balance. ----- I think I want to be a God!
    Loving this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I missed so much! You've really gone off the rails of what I expected from the story earlier. I like the line 'Are we god?' lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Loved this <3 It seems they've got their new job under control and all *g*

    ReplyDelete