Wednesday 24 July 2013

Wednesday Briefs - In The Arms Of An Angel - Through The Looking glass


So, we've reached another Wednesday and it's time for another brief and another peep into the life of two angels as they continue their journey. The confused angels, having fallen down the rabbit hole, now step through the looking glass

This week the prompts I have chosen are

#



Pasha surged forward.

“Wait,” Gabri’el hissed. “They’ve all been traps and illusions. There was something wrong in every room and there’s no reason to believe this one’s any different.”

Pasha paused and looked up at Gabri’el, holding his eyes for a moment. There was something in them that sent a shiver through him and he found he couldn’t look away. Gabri’el opened his mouth as if he was going to say something, then closed it again. Pasha shivered, when Gabri’el touched his cheek, brushing his hair out of his eyes.

“Please be cautious. You have a tendency to rush into things and I fear for you.”

“You do?”

“Do you still hate me, Pasha?”

“Hate you? Of course not, I….” Pasha paused as, with a thrill of surprise he realised that somewhere along the way hatred had changed into something very different. He couldn’t quite put his finger on what it was, but it definitely wasn’t hatred. “No, I don’t hate you.”

“I don’t hate you either.”

Something stirred inside Pasha and he turned away, feeling unsettled and guilty. He was pretty sure Uzzy would be happy he and Gabri’el were getting along but not so sure he’d understand the strange mixed feelings he was getting. He resolved to put them to one side until Uzzy was safe.

Cautiously, Gabri’el and Pasha edged forward Nothing seemed to be happening.

“I’m not happy with this. Nothing’s happening and that makes me suspicious. Perhaps we should go back and think more on this.”

“Go back? I don’t know if you’ve noticed but Uzzy’s about to undergo brain surgery. We can’t just leave him here.”

“Is it him?”

“Of course it’s him. I can feel him.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, it’s been getting stronger. I know it’s him.”

Ignoring Gabri’el, Pasha closed the last few steps and touched Uzzy’s shoulder. Instantly an alarm sounded and deafened them. Uzzy turned his head and opened eyes that were entirely black. Recoiling, Pasha noticed the lazer was now moving directly toward him.

“Get back,” Gabri’el cried. This time his warning was unnecessary as Pasha was already moving. “Get down.”

Without hesitation, Pasha dropped, tucked and rolled, as the door exploded in splinters. Gabri’el grabbed his shoulders and dragged him from the room as the lazer cut a groove in the floor, past the doorway and out into the room.

Gabri’el and Pasha sat with their backs to the wall and watched the line move slowly across the floor cutting through solid stone like butter.

“Are we safe here?”

“I think so. As safe as we are anywhere in this place.”

“That…thing wasn’t Uzzy.”

“No.”

They were silent for a while. The lazer reached the middle of the floor and winked out.

“Pasha, I don’t think any of them were Uzzy. I don’t think Uzzy’s here.” He sounded so incredibly sad, Pasha didn’t snap at him as was his first reaction. Besides, he was beginning to think the same thing himself.

“He’s here somewhere,” he said stubbornly, refusing to let go of the hope he felt inexorably slipping away.

“Pasha, we have to face it eventually. Fierro was right. Uzzy’s dead.”

“No,” Pasha snapped. “He’s not dead. I know he’s not. I can feel him.”

“I don’t think you can,” Gabri’el said sounding wretched. “I think you can feel me.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. It’s Uzzy, I know it.”

“Stand up,” Gabri’el said unexpectedly. He got to his feet and held out a hand to Pasha. Pasha stared at it for a moment, then took it and allowed Gabri’el to help him up. Gabri’el stood facing him  and searched his eyes. Pasha felt something stir and reached for it desperately, sure it was Uzzy because it was something he had only ever felt with Uzzy.

“I feel you, Pasha,” Gabri’el said softly. “I didn’t want to and I’m still not entirely sure I’m ready to accept it, but I feel you and I believe you can feel me.”

Pasha thought back, a few things clicking into place. “No,” he said stubbornly. “I don’t believe you. It’s Uzzy, not you. Uzzy’s my mate and you’re just….”

“What? What am I?” Gabriel brushed Pasha’s cheek, his touch hesitant and Pasha gasped when the touch sent sparks through him.

“No.”

“Don’t fight it, Pasha. If it’s meant to be that’s how it has to be.”

“No. I won’t believe it. You’re not my mate. I don’t even like you.”

“Don’t you? Can you look inside and honestly tell yourself you’ve no feelings for me at all?”
Pasha was about to say ‘yes’ when flashes of memory flickered in his mind, memories of the times Gabri’el had pulled him out of danger, of the touches and glances, the times their eyes had met, the shared visions, the ‘feelings’, the ‘connection’.

“No,” he said, dropping his eyes. “It is you. I know it. Maybe I’ve always known it but I didn’t want it to be you. I wanted it to be Uzzy.”

“I know. I…. I’m glad you recognize it now and that you’re not running from me.”

“Running? From you? There’s no point. I learned that with Uzzy. Something would always bring me back.”
Gabri’el smiled and took a half step closer, sliding his hand into Pasha’s hair. “Gabri’el, I don’t think I’m ready for this. Uzzy….”

“If he is alive he needs us united to find him. I don’t know if we can ever have the power you had with Uzzy but we have to try.”

After a time of standing stiff and terrified, Pasha sighed, the pulsing energy from Gabri’el’s touch overwhelming him. When he finally capitulated it all felt so right, so natural and when Gabri’el’s lips touched his, the fizzing blue fire that consumed them both confirmed it.


Lost in the kiss, they gradually became aware of clapping and pulled apart to see the white haired boy. He was wearing a studded collar, a top hat and very little else and he was grinning. “About time,” he said.


Now go check out the rest of the flashers this week 








3 comments:

  1. What an provocative little twist! Hmm... I feel the chemistry between Gabri'el and Pasha, but wonder where you are going next. Clever girl, you've left the possibilities wide open. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the next chapter might bring a surprise or two and the one after that will be pretty wowser

    ReplyDelete
  3. About time...hmmm about time means what for them? I hope only good things and for Uzzy.

    ReplyDelete