Thursday 20 September 2018

NEW RELEASE Boys of Summer by Tucker McCallahan




Lead singer Ash Redvers needs a drummer. When Dustin Davis shows up, ready, willing, and able to play - not to mention gorgeous - Ash thinks it’s going to be the best season yet. But Ash has never had a boyfriend, and Dust isn’t willing to be a quick hook-up. As the summer heats up, they’ll have to decide whether all they can make together is music, or if there’s something more for them after the Boys of Summer are gone.

Today, I am hosting a long-time friend Tucker McCallahan, who wrote the most amazing story about some of my favourite characters ever. As well as being a fantastic author, she is a superb editor and a fabulous person. No, she didn't bribe me to say that...no matter what you might think after reading the next paragraph.

Hi! My name is Tucker McCallahan, and I'm the author of The Boys of Summer, the first book in the Dust & Ash Saga. I'm so grateful to Nephy for hosting me today! If you've already gotten a copy of The Boys of Summer, then you know that Nephy is mentioned in my acknowledgements. The Dust & Ash Saga was workshopped on the Gay Authors website, where Nephy has work posted as well. She did me the supreme honor of commenting on this story while it was being rewritten, and her insight was so accurate sometimes, I got worried that she had a copy of my outline. LOL! In honor of Nephylim, enjoy an excerpt that her input helped to shape. From The Boys of Summer:

Two hours later Jared was pulling his shirt back on when he heard footfalls on the gravel. He turned to see Ash, wide-awake and his usual charming self, striding toward him. 
“Hey, man, place looks good.” 
“Thanks. You meet the new drummer?” 
“Not yet. I saw you guys moving his massive drum kit and beat feet back to bed.” 
Jared’s eyebrows shot up into his hairline. He crumpled the empty cigarette pack in his hand and threw it at Ash’s head. He missed by a mile. Ash grinned at him. 
“What? No way was I moving all that shit in the hot sun. I needed my beauty sleep.” 
“Lazy ass.” 
“So?” 
“So what?” 
“Impression?” 
“His name is Dustin. He has more bathroom junk than you do.” 
Ash stared at Jared for a minute, slightly nonplussed. “Uh, okay.” 
“I put him in Arden’s room, but there’s no bed in there except that mattress from—” 
“Ugh, that’s nasty.” Ash made a face. “Okay. As soon as he’s done, uh, doing whatever it is he’s in there doing, we’ll go buy a new bed.” 
“Cool. He seems like a nice guy. Kinda quiet.” 
“He looked like a Marilyn Manson reject, but honestly, as long as he can play the drums, I don’t really care.” 
“Well, hopefully I’ll improve your opinion of me over the course of the summer.” 
The voice was deep and sultry. Ash instantly thought of Jim Morrison from the Doors growling “Break On Through” or crooning “Love Her Madly.” Ash hoped he wasn’t blushing as he turned around, but when he saw the vision of total fucking hotness on his front porch, he gave up. Ash’s face went as red as a chili pepper. 
Dustin was a towhead, that uncanny, natural white-blond that some males were blessed with at birth and never escape with age. Even Dustin’s eyebrows and eyelashes were white, and of course, the very first thing that went through Ash’s filthy mind was that Dustin’s pubic hair would be that same wonderful white-blond too. That thought, and the accompanying mental image, gave Ash a raging hard-on. Fuck. 
Aside from the gorgeous color, Dustin’s hair was cut in a skater’s asymmetrical shag, longer on top than it was in the back, and he used some kind of styling gunk to stand it up into an artful pile of spikes. His eyes were toffee brown and positively danced with mischief as he stood on the porch in tight, skinny jeans, an Affliction hoodie, and Chuck Taylor All-Stars. Yup. Ash was hard as granite. 
“Well, goddamn!” Jared said with feeling. “Where’s the little punk I helped with the drums a few hours ago?” 
Dustin laughed and jumped off the porch. He landed in a graceful crouch, standing to stretch like a cat, which made his clothing ride up and showed off a sweet little six-pack, complete with a pierced navel. 
Oh motherfucking hell. Ash was going to have to go inside and adjust. He contemplated the physical tightness of Dustin’s jeans and cocked his head, trying to decide if the hard-bodied little drummer wore boxers, briefs, or—groan—nothing at all. 
“I washed him off. You’re stuck with me.” 
Ash stared, filled with simple but intense desire. Everything about Dustin turned Ash on fiercely, right down to the multiple piercings in Dustin’s ears. 
Jared laughed and looked sideways at Ash, who was unusually quiet. “Uh, Dustin, this is Ash, our singer. Ash, Dustin.” 
Dustin’s gaze devoured Ash from the top down. The singer and leader of the Boys of Summer had skin the color of teak, a tawny dark brown that gleamed in the golden sunshine. Dustin had to put effort into not straight-up ogling the guy, because Ash looked like a hero from some romance cover, complete with long, windswept black hair, fiery dark eyes, and oh-so-kissable lips. 
“You look like a lead singer. Tall, gorgeous, pretty eyes…. Can you actually sing too?” 
Ash’s mouth went bone-dry and his heart pounded like a bongo. Had he heard that right? Did Dustin just call him gorgeous? Ash mumbled something unintelligible. 
Jared stared at him. “Ground control to Ash, you okay over there?” 
Ash looked at Jared, slightly panicked. He could hardly admit to macking on their new drummer in front of the guy. Plus, there was the whole bit about being told he was gorgeous by somebody he wanted to knock down and fuck senseless on the front porch. What was he supposed to say? Tell Jared he was fine except for the massive erection that was currently preventing any blood from getting to his brain and causing a huge case of stupid? Oh yeah, that would go over great. 
Ash managed a vague sort of nod and stuffed his hands in his pockets. He tried to keep his eyes glued to the ground, but it didn’t work. They kept flipping up to gaze at their new drummer. 
Ash jerked his head toward his SUV. “Guess I’ll drive,” he mumbled. 
They were all headed in that direction when Jared’s cell phone rang. Ash’s Sketchers crunching on the gravel didn’t quite mask his growl as he glared at Jared’s retreating back and the phone plastered to his ear. 
“Hey, I can sleep on the floor, if getting a bed is a problem.” Dustin’s concern was audible in his voice. “Or if the money’s the issue, a futon would be—” 
Ash’s beleaguered brain finally clicked on and he turned his attention back to Dustin. “No. No problem. Sorry, man. I just got done with a killer semester. If I space out, or just kind of stare off or something, smack me. It’s totally posttraumatic stress.” 
“If you say so.” 
Ash furrowed his brows as he glared at Jared, still talking on his phone. Damn it, Ash needed a wingman here. He hooked his thumbs in his back pockets and cocked his head, pivoting on his heel before dancing from foot to foot as if music played somewhere. 
Dustin smiled, watching him. Ash’s hair swung around his shoulders as he came to a stop, facing Dustin once again as Jared finally came toward them with an apologetic look on his face. 
“Sorry, guys, I gotta bail on the bed trip. I have to go see a… a friend.” 
“Dealing during daylight hours?” Ash quipped. 
“Damn.” Jared made a face, his voice taking on a very serious tone. “I suggest you tell Dustin that you’re merely attempting to be amusing, because everybody in our band knows that I have no sense of humor whatsoever about being referred to as something so onerous as a purveyor of narcotics.” 
Ash abruptly stopped dancing about, straightened up, and nodded. “Right dude, sorry. So… you gotta go?” 
“Yeah. That was Tracy.” 
“Oh,” Ash said, surprised. “I didn’t know you guys were talking again.” 
“On and off.” 
“I didn’t know she’d finally gotten a divorce.” 
“She hasn’t.” 
Ash cringed. “Jared, man….” 
“Stay out of it, Ash.” 
“Yeah, okay. Just… be careful.” 
“Have fun buying junior there a bed. Don’t embarrass him too badly.” 
“No worries.” 
Jared jogged off to his ancient Bug, leaving Ash and Dust alone. As they drove out toward the shopping mall on the edge of the county line, a comfortable silence filled the SUV. They used the time to size each other up, taking the first leg of the journey for some thorough studying. 
Dustin decided Ash was simply the best-looking man he’d ever laid eyes on. From his long black hair with its natural red highlights, to his rangy hard body that seemed full of childish, happy energy, the lead singer of the Boys of Summer was completely gorgeous. And firmly in his closet, Dustin was sure, which was a problem
Ash, on the other hand, decided he was getting laid tonight. He was going to take a man home, alone, for the very first time. No girls allowed this time. He didn’t want anything distracting him from the unbelievable bounty that was Dustin the drummer. Ash had Plans (with a capital P) for this boy, and the more he thought about it, the more excited he got. Why the hell hadn’t he ever done something like this before? 
“So… thought about what kind of bed you want?” Ash asked. 
Dustin cocked his head and frowned. “The kind you sleep on?” 
“Smartass. I meant, like, a queen, a king, a firm mattress, a soft mattress? You ever try one of those Tempur-Pedic beds?” 
Dustin stared at him with his mouth hanging open. It was kind of cute. Ash wanted to lean over and suck on Dustin’s lower lip, which probably meant he was going to have a car accident if he didn’t stop thinking with his dick and pay attention to the road. 
“What are you, like, the Jacques Cousteau of beds?” 
“We spend a third of our lives asleep, Dust. It okay if I call you Dust?” 
“Sure, I don’t care,” Dustin said, shrugging. 
Ash beamed at him. “I happen to like sleeping, so I have a thing for comfortable beds.” 
“Okay.” Dustin slowly nodded. “What kind of bed do you have?” 
“At the farmhouse?” 
“Yeah.” 
“I have a king-sized double pillow-top that I roll a two-inch layer of memory foam over. It’s not ideal, but it does the job for the summer.” 
“What’s ideal?” Now Dustin was interested, because thinking about how serious Ash was about his bed was kind of hot. 
“The house I live in up in Pittsburgh? I have a California King up there, one of those Sleep Number jobs with separate adjustment areas on each side. It’s on a custom-built spring platform, and it’s fucking amazing. I sleep like a baby every night, even if I’m not wrapped in flesh.” 
“Excuse me?” Dustin choked. 
“Yeah, uh, I don’t like to sleep alone. It’s kind of a fetish. You’d have found out anyway, living with me. It’s not so much a sex thing as a skin thing. I just sleep better if I’ve got skin on either side of me.” 
Dustin stared at him and decided to jump in with both feet and see where he landed. 
“Well hell, Ash. Why are we wasting money on a bed? Why don’t I just sleep in your room?” 
Ash’s heart pounded, and he chose his speech carefully. “Uh, as much as I… appreciate… your offer, you’ll find out pretty quick that our band is really popular. Most of the guys pick up bed-warmers, whether they have sex or not.” At the look on Dustin’s face, Ash’s words spilled out. “I’m not making any assumptions, Dust. What you do is your business. I’m just saying, I don’t doubt you’ll have plenty of offers for—” 
But Dustin interrupted him with the one thing Ash totally didn’t expect to hear. At least, not that way. “I’m gay, Ash. I really don’t think I’m gonna be picking up anybody at a wedding and bringing them home for sex.” 
Ash swung the SUV into the furniture outlet and shut the engine off. He pulled the keys from the ignition and turned to look at Dustin, who sat quietly, staring at him, obviously waiting for Ash’s reaction. 
“Just so you know, I haven’t had any problems picking guys up at weddings for sex. Hell, I ended up with the groom once.” Ash’s face flushed as Dustin’s eyebrows flew up in surprise. “And no, I’m not telling that story. Falling Banks may be a small town, but they aren’t stuck in the dark ages. There are gay couples. There’s even a gay bar.” 
“So you expect me to discover the pleasures of hooking up with small-town gay guys?” Dustin’s voice had a hard, sarcastic edge Ash really didn’t like. 
“That’s not what I said.” Ash looked decidedly uncomfortable. “I’m just saying, if you’re, uh, out, then you should have your own space.” 
Dustin sat back, a contemplative look on his face as he eyed Ash. “I take it, despite your hookups and the fact that you ooze metrosexual all over the place, you’re not out.” 
Ash flushed an even deeper shade of scarlet, but decided it was probably better to have this conversation now. He stuck the keys back in the ignition, started the engine, and flipped the air-conditioning on so they’d have both some air—and some cover—then leaned back and turned to his sexy new bandmate. “No, I’m not. Not down here. Up at school it’s another story, but here at home? No. Jared knows because he lives with me and has seen who I bring home, but since I know he’s a fucking drug dealer, we keep our mouths shut about each other’s business.” 
“You mind telling me why? I mean, no offense, but I knew the minute I saw you.” 
“Knew what?” 
“You’re gay.” 
“I’m not gay.” 
“Yeah, okay, dude, whatever.” With a tired sigh, Dustin completely disengaged from the conversation and turned away from Ash to get out of the truck. God, this guy was so far in the closet, he couldn’t even see the door! 
Ash reached over and grabbed Dustin’s arm before he could open the door. Strange electricity arced between them, pulling a gasp from Ash and stiffening Dustin’s spine. Reacting on instinct, Ash yanked, and Dust bounced across the seat like he’d been shot from a cannon right into Ash’s lap. 
Dustin slapped one hand against Ash’s chest to stop the singer from hauling him any closer, and it only made things worse. Unbelievable heat arced up Dustin’s hand into his arm, drawing a hiss from between his clenched teeth. 
Ash couldn’t think; he hummed with need. He wrapped his fingers around Dustin’s upper arms. Dustin shoved both of his hands into Ash’s chest with a sexy little growl. Their eyes locked, and the wrestling went from a surprised struggle to something downright erotic. 
“Thought you said you weren’t gay,” Dustin said, a little breathless. 
“I’m not,” Ash growled, straining closer. “I’m bi.” 
“Thought you said you weren’t out.” Dustin’s arms trembled and started to weaken. God, Ash smelled good, and he was so pretty…. 
“I’m not!” Four more inches. Just four more fucking inches, and Ash could devour that mouth. 
“You kiss me in the front seat of your truck in broad daylight while they load that sofa, and you will be,” Dustin breathed. Ash whipped his head around. Four men from the furniture store were loading a large sectional sofa into a 4x4 about twenty yards away. Ash immediately let go of Dustin, but couldn’t help raking his eyes over him again. 
Dustin felt the heat of Ash’s gaze and knew he had scant seconds before Ash decided he didn’t care about having an audience. Dust had to stop this now; he just met this guy. 
“Look, Ash, I don’t want there to be any problems between us, and I don’t want to cause any problems with the band.” Dustin scooted back over into the passenger seat. He tugged his hoodie down, and only then did Ash realize Dustin’s shirt had ridden up over his abs. 
Ash bit the inside of cheek to hold back the whimper. “I’m not usually this—” Ash didn’t know how to say it. “Fuck.” He’d never wanted a guy like he wanted Dustin, but if he said that, it sounded stupid and purely physical—which, well, maybe it was. Damn. 
Dustin watched the thoughts flicker across Ash’s face as clearly as if he’d sung them. Dustin had never met a man with a more expressive face. A bolt of lust stronger than anything Dustin had felt in a year struck and left him smoldering. Dustin’s chest seized with actual pain as he recognized the feeling and squashed it flat. He couldn’t afford to take any chances. He was in Falling Banks to play the drums, not find a boyfriend. He took a slow, deep breath to ease the ache in the center of his chest and gazed at Ash. 
“Look, I felt it too, okay? There’s definitely some kind of crazy attraction between us, but I’m shambling here. I played an all-nighter last night, and we still need to buy a bed. Then, if you don’t mind, I need to get something to eat—something, you know, real. Not fast food. Energy drinks stop working after you’ve been using them for a few days, so—” 
“Dude, when did you sleep last?” 
Dustin rubbed his beautiful toffee-colored eyes and offered Ash an exhausted smile. “What day is it?” 
“I am so sorry.” Ash turned the SUV back off and pocketed his keys. “Let’s pick out a bed. I gotta drop your contract and tax forms off at my parents’ house, but we can grab food after that. I promise not to make a run on your virtue until you can appreciate it.” 
Ash’s wink was downright lewd. Dustin took a deep breath and climbed out of the SUV. He followed the tall, sexy singer into the large furniture depot and tried to focus on the rectangles made for sleeping.

I hope you enjoyed the excerpt. The Boys of Summer is the first book in the Dust & Ash Saga and is available now on Amazon and Smashwords.

The second book is scheduled to come out in the spring; there are six books in all. To celebrate the first release in the saga, I'm sponsoring a giveaway! There are three ways to enter: like my author page on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, or – if you're already following me on FB and Twitter – leave me a comment about your favorite music to listen to at a wedding reception. I'll be giving away three gift cards, and the winners will get to choose what they'd like to receive!

Winners will be announced on my blog on
September 30th.   




Once again, I'd like to thank Nephy for hosting me and the Boys today. Turn on some music and enjoy the end of your summer!

About Tucker McCallahan:

Tucker McCallahan has been lots of places, seen lots of things, and is still learning new stuff on the regular. Multi-published, bisexual, polyamorous, and slave to a big black cat named Emperor Inka, Tucker is also married, a parent, a long-time member of the LGBT community and a proud educator/activist

No comments:

Post a Comment