Sunday 26 August 2018

The Bard of Avon


Recently, we went on holiday to Stratford-Upon-Avon, the birthplace of William Shakespeare, otherwise known as The Bard of Avon. In the visitor's center attached to his house there was a list of some common phrases that came from Shakespeare's works. Thought it might be fun to share some,

Remember, all of these were originally penned by Shakespeare.

Henry IV Part I

The game is afoot


Merry Wives of Windsor

As [good] luck would have it


Merchant of Venice

Bated breath


The Tempest

Brave new world


Taming of the Shrew

Break the ice
Refuse to budge an inch


Macbeth

Cold comfort
Knock knock! Who's there?
One fell swoop
Come what may
Fancy free
Many a true word spoken in jest


Henry IV

Eaten me out of house and home 
Heart of gold 


Henry VI 

Dead as a doornail


Henry VIII

For goodness sake


Othello

Foregone conclusion ]
Wear my heart on my sleeve


King Lear

Full circle


Hamlet

In my heart of hearts 
In my mind's eye
Make your hair stand on end
Shuffle off this mortal coil
There's method in my madness
Woe is me


The Merchant of Venice

Love is blind


Romeo and Juliet

Wild-goose chase


As You Like I

And thereby hangs a tale
It's meat and drink to me
Lay it on with a trowel
Too much of a good thing


Look out for more Shakespearey things in the near future, here as well as on my personal blog and in my next newsletter.




No comments:

Post a Comment